In The Company of Cheerful Ladies
One of my favourite novel series is titled "No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" Series by Alexander McCall Smith.
"In The Company of Cheerful Ladies" is the sixth novel of this series.
The story is about a traditionally built woman from Botswana named Precious Ramotswe. She founded the first Ladies Detective Agency in Botswana and the story revolves around her.
This book is a light read. The story unfolds ever so slowly and usually has a happy ending where she solved almost all the mysteries that happened.
I like this book because it makes me smile and kind of reminds me of the good old days:
- Everyone knows everyone (since the city is so small) - I guess that can be a good thing and a bad thing.
- Working in a relatively slow pace and caring more about what you do in your job.
- Taking the time to take a break, have some tea, and chat under a tree (I think this will not work in Canada, especially in the area that I currently live in - there are no trees around)
It also has interesting characters like:
- Precious Ramotswe, who grew up in a small city called Mochudi and is very proud of her father. She was previously married to a trumpet player who is abusive and she has learned a lot from that. She is a very smart woman who can manipulate people into doing what she wants them to do. She also loves her old traditions and tries to keep those traditions alive.
- Mr. J.L.B Matekoni. He is the best mechanic in Botswana. Up till this moment, I still don't know what his name stands for. He is called Mr. J.L.B Matekoni through out the whole novel. He is a bit of a pushover because all the women around him always manage to make him do what they want.
- Grace Makutsi. She is the secretary of Mma Ramotswe who is very proud of her achievements in the Secretary school (97%) and looks down upon other people that could not achieve the same mark. She is an independent woman and a go getter. By the 5th book, she was promoted to an assistant detective.
I love this book because it makes me smile and it also reminds me to be patient with life because things have a way of coming together (even if you don't think it's happening fast enough). It doesn't give you mind-blowing life lessons that will help you in life, but it reminds you of things you already know that you should keep in mind.
I'm definitely looking forward to the 7th book.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home